Carbon Reduction Plan
SEMP Ltd are committed to reducing our current carbon footprint and reducing emissions to achieve Net Zero emissions by 2050.
We have undertaken a baseline emission assessment for the year 2021. We will continue to monitor and publicly report on our emissions on an annual basis, as a minimum.
For the baseline year, we have estimated our GHG emissions based on the best and latest available information relating to the three Scopes. Based on this data, we have calculated that nearly 100% of our GHG emissions fall within Scope 3.
For subsequent reporting years, we will collect relevant information on a monthly basis to allow us to report on our emissions more accurately moving forward, with a dedicated individual within the company appointed to collect and collate this data from the relevant sources.
Continuous improvement relies on performance measurement against meaningful targets and communication of results. We strive to implement the following processes across our organization:
- Collect data related to Scopes 1, 2 and 3 across all areas of our business
- Develop a company-wide greenhouse gas emissions inventory
- Develop meaningful emissions reduction targets
- Develop company-wide waste reduction targets
- Annually report overall environmental performance to our stakeholders
Carbon Reduction Initiatives
We will measure the effectiveness of our carbon reduction initiatives using our calculated emissions from 2021, our baseline measurement year.
Although there are existing environmental management initiatives in the business including SEMP’s ISO 14001 certification and hybrid working arrangements that enable our team to work from home, we recognise that there is much more we can do to reduce our GHG emissions.
In the future, we intend to investigate and implement (where deemed appropriate) further measures such as:
- In conjunction with office landlords, explore green energy tariffs and energy-saving measures such as using energy-efficient lightbulbs
- Invest in carbon offset programmes for unavoidable business flights
- Cycle to work schemes to replace cars for employee commuting
- Create an energy consumption reduction plan for our offices
- Team education about measures in place with annual update on progress
- Investigate implementing software, such as Normative, that will support us, as an SME, to measure and report on our GHG emissions.
- Where we cannot eliminate GHG emissions entirely, we will neutralise our GHG production through investment in high-quality climate investments and carbon offset products
- Set a paperless working goal with absolute minimal paper printing and use only recycled paper products where printing is unavoidable
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Office closures and operational changes due to COVID -19 played a substantial are expected to have resulted in lower-than-normal baseline emissions in 2021. As a result, SEMP Ltd reserves the right to re-baseline using a more recent period where operations are as close to pre -COVID -19 levels as possible. In particular, we anticipate that as employees begin to return to the office, our Scope 2 emissions will rise (due to increased energy consumption in our offices), while our Scope 3 emissions will naturally fall (due to fewer indirect emissions as a result of employees working within their own homes).
Emission Reduction Targets
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans. Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard 1 and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and we have reported the required subset of Scope 3 emissions in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard 3 . This Carbon Reduction Plan has been approved on behalf of the board of directors of SEMP Ltd and signed by Stuart Gilbey and Derek Wynne, Directors.